Thursday, January 12, 2017

Miso, Honey

I write this to you because, as a fellow warrior, you're the only one who can understand.
    Have you seen the movie Full Metal Jacket? It takes place in the sixties and is about the Viet Nam war. It was directed by Stanley Kubrick, whom I've always found pretentious and over-rated, but that's neither here nor there. Anyway…
    There's a scene in it where a young prostitute is trying to drum up business by telling some American soldiers, "Me so horny. Me so horny. Me love you long time." The scene was so moving that the rap group Two Live Crew wrote a tender love ballad about it, also called Me So Horny. Well…
    I told you that to tell you this:
    I was recently at an Asian restaurant, and I innocently asked the cute little Asian waitress what the soup of the day was.
    "Miso, honey," she said.
    That immediately sent me into a Viet Nam flashback.
    When I came back to consciousness a half-hour later I was wandering around aimlessly, covered in blood...
     ...and hungry for more Chinese food.
     The war.
     It never leaves you.
 
 
American Chimpanzee
JimDuchene.BlogSpot.com
RaisingMyFather.BlogSpot.com
@JimDuchene
  

No comments:

Post a Comment