Sunday, March 14, 2021

Dear John: Special Paranoid Edition!

 Hard Core Advice

From Hard Core’s Hardest Core...
John Leslie!
  
Dear John,
     My father is 68-years-old. He's active and in good health, but he's become increasingly obsessed with which of his children will get which of his belongings when he dies. Almost every conversation with us now consists of "So-and-so will get such-and-such IF he or she is good." I'm glad he's thinking ahead and putting his affairs in order, but I feel like he's missing out on living his life in the present. It's been months since we've been able to talk about normal things.
     How do I get him to stop this obsession?
     --Annoyed
  
Dear Annoyed,
Your father has eight weeks to live.
  
Dear John,
     Every Christmas or birthday, my son makes plans with his wife's family rather than ours. I can't remember the last time we've enjoyed a holiday with him and our grandchildren.
     Any suggestions?
     --Lonely
  
Dear Lonely,
Give better gifts.
  
Dear John,
     My husband and I have problems communicating because he says I don't talk enough, but that's just the way I am. I'm not saying being the silent type is right, but he married me knowing I have a hard time making conservation just for the sake of conversation. I don't mind sitting back and listening to him while he rambles on forever, though. In fact, I prefer it that way, but he can't understand why I don't like to talk, especially since it comes so easily for him.  He says it makes him feel as if I don't care about our marriage as much as he does, but that's not true, and it really hurts my feelings. 
     Any suggestions?
     --Silent
  
Dear Silent,
Your husband's a putz.
  
Confidential to Paranoid:
Who told you about me?
  
American Chimpanzee
@JimDuchene
  

No comments:

Post a Comment