Friday, November 18, 2011

Same Old Politicians, Same Old Problems

I was driving on the freeway making my way to one of the many early voting sites located around El Paso.  I was on the passing lane going 50 mph.  It wasn't my idea to go that slow on the fast lane.  It was the idea of the driver in the car ahead of me.  I flashed my high-beams at him in the international signal to scoot over.  He flashed me back with the longest finger on his right hand, and punctuated that gesture by hitting his brakes.  It could have been worse. 
     He could have been from New Mexico driving 40. 
     But I wasn't about to let him get me down.  It was a great day, and a great day to vote.  Besides, I thought, when we vote the same elected officials back into office again I bet you they'll finally do something about those crazy drivers.
     There's a lot that we can complain about in this town.  In fact, a lot of people do nothing but complain.  Some even move elsewhere thinking that somewhere just over the next rainbow there's a land where bluebirds are singing, and milk and honey are flowing.  Myself, I know better.  I know that taxes are high and money's scarce.  If we just keep voting in the same people over and over again I'm sure that someday our taxes will be fair.
     Growth and prosperity?  Redistribution of wealth?  Childhood obesity?  Ex-wives?  If we can just vote in the usual suspects often enough, I'm sure they'll eventually do something about it.
     I don't live in District 76, but, like many of you, it's caught my attention like a bad episode of Jerry Springer.  It's a good example of how people in El Paso don't run on the issues.  They run on whether or not their opponent knows that the quickest way to a man's heart is with her fist.
     I was listening to Paul Strelzen's radio program quite a few months back, and a caller by the a.k.a. of The Patriot insisted that it's not the Democrats who are responsible for our high property taxes, but the Republicans.  That may be true--I can't prove otherwise--but I couldn't help but think:  What Republican has that kind of juice in this town?  And then I thought:  This pointing of fingers has got to stop.  The only fingers I want pointing are the fingers of voters voting in the candidate who has the best interest of El Paso at heart.
     Yes, our city does have its share of problems, but when it comes to solving them...  I think it's up to us.
 
 
Fifty Shades of Funny
jimduchene.blogspot.com
RaisingMyFather.blogspot.com

@JimDuchene
 

No comments:

Post a Comment