Saturday, April 6, 2013

Dear John (4-6-13)

Hard Core Advice From
Hard Core's Hardest Core... John Leslie


Dear John,
     I am 55 years-old and have worked at my job for 25 years. A couple of years ago, the company hired a 26 year-old guy. I have been patient, but I am reaching the end of my rope.
     "Doofus" cannot remember what was said the minute he hangs up the phone. He doesn't pay attention to what he is doing. He lies all the time, and everybody know it. He takes on no new responsibilities, which drives me crazy. He just does his work, and then plays on the Internet when he's done. It seems like he's simply along for the ride.
     I have asked him to do some menial tasks for me, thinking that he'd catch on, but he's not exactly grabbing the carrot, and I don't mean in the fun way. I don't think he cares one bit about anyone except himself.
     Even though I am not his boss, I'd like to address this problem with him, but I can't think of how.
     What can I do?
     --Stymied

Dear Stymied,
     Have you tried minding your own business?

Dear John,
     My mother recently took her 13 year-old cat to the vet and found out that she has diabetes that is treatable, but she would have to learn to give her cat shots.
     My mom doesn't drive, so I had to take her to the vet, as well as drive her back home. On the drive home, she told me the diagnosis, and then she told me that she'll probably put her cat down.
     Why would a person think so negatively? My mom's not broke. She can afford the treatments. And I don't see what the fuss is about giving her cat shots.
     What can I do about this situation, because it upsets me every time I think about it?
     --Angry

Dear Angry,
     You can always try minding your own business.
    
Dear John,
     My husband and I got married a few years ago. During our brief courtship there was one habit he intentionally hid from me: online gambling. When he first disclosed this soon after our honeymoon, I thought it was funny and cute. Now that a couple of years have passed, I find myself bitter and angry. We have your usual marital disagreements, but this is the only issue we ever fight about.
     He spends several hours a week playing these online games, and every time we fight about it, he'll cut back or promise to stop, but within a week or two he's back to his usual shenanigans.
     I can't imagine my life without him, but this is driving me nuts. I'm not leaving him over it, so how can I get him to stop?
     --Anxious

Dear Anxious,
     How about you just mind your own business?


Confidential to Confused:
Mind your own business.


American Chimpanzee
jimduchene.blogspot.com
RaisingMyFather.blogspot.com
@JimDuchene
    

No comments:

Post a Comment